Friday, July 02, 2004

digital pluralism

Its funny how you mentioned that you had in mind me and the people of Kellerberrin as the audience for your work- not those in Leeds. Thats exactly how I've been feeling, as if I'm performing for an audience I'll never see. I think the things I've noticed, the correspondence I've sent off, its all reflective and highly conscious of being for an "other". I feel like my work has constantly referenced an "exoticism", it might be subdued by I seem to constantly have in mind a type of poetic theme whereby I'm positioning (pitching) myself "romanticly" for the Leeds audience. This is bizarre as I cant reflect on what your seeing over there, but I can, and have, interacted first hand with an audience here- an audience, even though I'm putting my work in front of them, that I don't feel concerned about- its a strange position and I think it talks about the way we consider media today, how the screen or how we're referenced in digital space takes on an overidding concern over that of physical interaction? Not sure about this but I feel transplaced by the exercise that has been LEFT, I feel a certain emphasis in myself to make the work understandable to who I considering online rather than who's looking at it insitu, here- now. Maybe I'm not ignoring the "here" completely but I definately feel like a man constantly at the post box, aware that its red and on the street corner but much more fascinated by what I'm putting in the box, whats in the envelope and what the journey entails for that envelope- "the afterlife of my observations" if you will. This (LEFT) has been a very interesting, if not very confusing, "show". It makes me dizzy to think who/ or what I'm doing this for- where is the work situated- its impossible to pin and I know it shouldn't be desirable to do so, but if its relevant to art to understand the audience, to know where youre pitching, to maintain an anxious interactive engagement between private and public space, then how do you do that when your work is co-existing in a variety of time and space logs which all branch out in various directions simultaneously and in no particular order. Its intruiging, fascinating and unsettling. To keep it all in order a friend suggested this marching "sound off" to me to pace my walking for this show, it goes something like this- "...left, left, he had a good home and he left...left, left..."

3 Comments:

At 2 July 2004 at 15:30, Blogger Lucy (UK) said...

I am trying to get my head around everything that is going on in this site. I am really excited by the complexity of it, but equally it is making me feel quite exhausted physically and mentally. I am still working until tomorrow so I will post again on this when I am little more refreshed.

 
At 2 July 2004 at 15:30, Blogger Lucy (UK) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3 July 2004 at 11:31, Blogger Lucy (UK) said...

Using the blog has definitely offered a sense definition to the project in terms of it having a (new) media base. I think it has allowed me to project myself away from Leeds and in to the audience in Kellerberrin and cyber space. I think you are right in what you say about the romantic pitching of oneself. I definetly identify with that notion of trying to poeticise what I am seeing somehow. But perhaps it also goes back to the question of art and why we are doing this, in terms of making it interesting for an 'audience' whether that be me and you or a wider grouping, physically grounded or existing remotely through the internet.

The projection of the blog here in the gallery has allowed physical interaction with the digital media - as you commented earlier from the pictures I posted - and that has been an exciting exercise for me to see people having to physically cast a shadow on to the text and images in order to read them. I still think the text is strong in itself on the computer screen but having seen that manipulation of scale it feels like the format of project it allows the work to take on another form.

I really like the metaphor of being at the post box and being more caught up in the envelope and its contents and its journey than your physical positioning next to the box. I think this relates to the link I put up about art and context which is a research concern I have. The internet confuses context yet at the same time offers its own context. This work is site responsive, each of us indvidually engaging with particular sites, yet we are deflecting the content through digital means and allowing it to be read in a number of different situations, each throwing up new signifiers and paradigmatic choices through culture, experience and language.

There is also an interesting defintion between public and private space. Like me with my umbrella where I am defining a private space in the public realm. With the blog I have set it up so that only you and I can post and comment on the posts, a kind of closed shop if you like. Yet it exists in the most public of realms, whilst retaining some sense of intimacy, the blog's vision on the world is framed by our expereince, and my experience of my city has been framed by my umbrella.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home